Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Reverend Stock....

has spoken! Yes, that is correct. I have a BIG BURR up my butt today. This time, it is regarding the way that people, generally people in the service business have zero regard for people and zero manners.  This is how I felt today, even though I certainly did NOT deserve it:


Today I had to make a trip to Norfolk and I had several errands to run. I got to Norfolk and my first stop was Target where I was able to FINALLY find a cute little ottoman that kind of matches our chairs at our lakehouse. Target was pretty good, except as I was checking out there were two girls helping me and the one loaded my stuff in my cart. I looked at her and said "Thank you so much for loading that for me" so she looked at me and almost frowned. Never said "oh your welcome" or "happy to help" or anything.....

As, I left Target, I was still in a very good mood, cause I found the two things that I was looking for. Solar rock lights and my ottoman.





I headed to Hobby Lobby to see if I could find me a shelf for the lakehouse/cabin. All their furniture was on sale and I had NO intention of going there but when I heard that they had a furniture sale I headed off to find a corner shelf. I found the perfect one, along with some cool knobs for my cabinet and asked a lady for some assistance. This time it was a customer who was rude. Keep in mind she was next in line, had one roll of ribbon and I had a 99.00 shelf and about 20 bucks worth of knobs.....but man was she ticked when the lady opened a register and checked me out first. Hey.......get over it.



Finally, I headed to Wal-Mart (which is against my religion!) but I had to buy two more baskets for a organizing project I was working on and didn't feel like driving all the way across Columbus when I got home to pick one up. So I stopped a lady with a Wal-Mart smock on and ask her very nicely "pardon me but I am looking for the cloth baskets, they are with the hangers, etc....". So much for the "Welcome to Wal-Mart how may I help you". She said....we don't carry those. I said "I bought one yesterday in Columbus and they were with the hangers, irons, ironing boards, etc......they were cloth" She said "Well it must be the wrong store, I have been working here for 11 years and I have never seen a cloth basket" HEEELLLLOOOOOO lady! I just said I bought it at Wal-mart in Columbus....has she been to Columbus lately, well else in the name of the lord would I buy anything like that except Wal-Mart in Columbus. So  I said "Well Thank you for trying: and I walked off. There was no "I am sorry" "Could I call someone" "Let me show you where the aisle is" "let's go check for sure". OH HELL NO!!! I walked over the the aisle myself and guess what I found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE DAMMMMMMMM CLOTH BASKET!


It is a down right shame. No one hardly ever says the common courtesy words: Please, Thank You, Your Welcome....nothing. I felt like a down right pain in the ass, but after all I was the customer.

Now for the positive news: I then went to Shop-ko where I was treated with the happiest of smiles when I was checked out. There was a nice sweet girl at the Customer service desk who took me because all the lanes were backedup. What a treat. She was sweet. She was pleasant. She was darling. She smiled. She laughed. We talked about how warm it had gotten and how I wished I would have worn shorts. She told me to have a nice day and asked me if there was anything else I needed help finding....I almost said "Yeah your parents.....cause they taught you right. I had trouble with the card reader reading my credit card and she helped me by wiping my card with some kind of wet wipe thing....I thanked her and she said "YOUR WELCOME".

So to that sweet little girls parents....THANK YOU for teaching her right.

To mine......THANK YOU for teaching me the difference between good manners and bad. I am NOT perfect. Swear words will sneak out of my mouth. I can get mad as bullets, but most of the time, when put in a situation where I have to hold a door, say Thank you, smile and say "your welcome"........I was taught right. I will wait till every single soul exits and elevator. I will let others in front of me on a escaltor when I have two hours till my plane leaves and they have 25 minutes. I will say Thank You when someone holds the door for me and I will try my best to acknowledge when people are polite to me.

THANK YOU Mom (and Dad...RIP to one of the best role models) for teaching me to have some manners..........

No comments:

Post a Comment