Thursday, March 10, 2011

Our Hawaii Tsunami story

Today started off as a usually beautiful day in beautiful Maui Hawaii. Our only second day on the Island and it ended very well.............eventful at the least. This is the story of Ron and Kristin during the Maui Tsunami as told by Ron and I.

It was a great Thursday in Maui. A day that Ron and I planned to take just to ourselves. Mainly to get oriented to our resort, enjoy the sunshine and take advantage our beautiful seaside room. It was perfect. We spent the day in the sun just laying on our chairs. Toward the end of our day, We both answered emails and checked messages on our phones and browsed our favorite internet sites. We enjoyed a gorgeous sunset. Had a few cocktails and headed for bed.


Around 9:50 pm Maui time.  Ron woke me up with the news that a Tsunami watch had been turned in to a warning for Hawaii. BOY was I mad. I just wanted to go home. Here was my direct Facebook quote: "Oh hell Maui under a Tsuanami watch. Forget paradise. There is no place like Nebraska and I want to go home"  Even though just days before there was no way in hell you were dragging me out of here. It was the craziest, fastest, most panic stricken nut job I have ever done. I was nuts. (When I returned back later all I could so was laugh, about my packing procedures.......the TSA would have never let me through ANY check in line). There we so many funny thing I uncovered. Ron packed all our groceries in our Safeway bags we saved. But NOT me I put our small cereal boxes in the bottom of my suitcase. The Ginger cookies we bought in my computer bag and my underwear...in my purse :) 

So we spent the whole night at the West Maui Airport with many of our new Maui/International friends. I learned to leave VERY early if I had to tinkle. I learned that complete strangers can become the most comforting folks in times of stress. My learned most of all that ALOT of people care and love Ron and I. 



No comments:

Post a Comment